F.A.C.T. has just completed it's 16th season of summer camp! We are proud to offer a unique and enriching summer day camp experience for children and teens with autism.
- Camp Gonnawannagoagin is specifically for children ages 4 to 21 with a primary diagnosis of autism.
- Six one week sessions are offered each summer, typically from early July to mid August.
- Applications are available on line in the spring.
- Campers may attend up to 3 weeks.
- Camp is in session from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Camp is located at in Virginia Beach.
- Tuition is $275 per week. All activities and materials are included in the tuition. Families that qualify for free or reduced lunch in the school system may attend one week at a reduced tuition of $75.
- Active Duty Military Families receive a $75 discount per week
- Families with more than 1 child with ASD attending this camp receive $75 discount per week.
- Other tuition assistance is limited and is handled on a case by case basis.
- Children and teens of all ability levels are welcome. Children who exhibit severe agression or biting may not be assigned a peer buddy or may be denied acceptance into the program. Camp is not currently prepared to meet the needs of children with severe physical disabilities.
- Each child is assigned an adult counselor. Counselors are adults who have experience working with children with autism or are pursuing a degree in special education or a related field.
- Each child is also assigned a non-disabled volunteer. Volunteers must be at least 12 years of age . Volunteers may attend up to 2 weeks.Siblings of children with autism are encouraged to volunteer.
- Counselors and volunteers employ best practices in behavior management and facilitating communication and participation.
- Picture schedules and a token reinforcement system are used throughout the day.
- Each day features a field trip into the community. Past outings have included trips to museums, bowling, skating, karate, yoga, laser tag, horseback riding and boating.
- Campers are taken swimming every day.
- Arts and crafts, sports, games, cooking, and music are also incorporated into the program.
- If you have further questions please contact us.
We’re very proud of our program and encourage you to support our efforts through volunteerism, fundraising, or a contribution of funds or services.
My son had a great camp experience and felt like he belong.
- Parent of a 14 year old boy.
My daughter had a wonderful time at camp. She was in a safe,loving environment and was engaged in a variety of activities.
- Parent of a 6 year old girl
I love that my daughter has a place to go that she absolutely loves. All of the activities are great and just having something for kids with autism is enough in itself.
- Parent of a 9 year old girl
The peer buddies have always been exemplary and provide the same-age, one-to-one social interaction. The campers often lack but greatly benefit from. This camp is the only "social" activity we have ever been able to get our son to participate in. He goes so willingly and wnjoys it so much, he looks forward to it every year. We can't tell you enough how grateful we are and what a blessing all of you who make this camp happen are. What a positive lasting impact you have all made in our son's life-Thank You!
-Parent of a 14 year old boy